Industries in Raichur
Hutti Gold Mines
To the west of Raichur, in a small village of Hutti, you would find one of the oldest metal mines in the world. Incidentally the gold mines at Hutti village happen to be the only place in India today to produce gold after the closure of Kolar Mines.
In the year 1947, the gold mine started with the name of Hyderabad Gold Mines Company Ltd. with Hyderabad state government being the majority shareholder of the company. Later during the reorganization of the state in the year 1956, the company came under the state of Mysore and the name was changed to Hutti Gold Mines Company Limited, as it is known today.
The mine in Hutti has a depth of more than 600 ft and for this reason it is believed that these mines date back to sometime even before the Pre-Ashokan period. In those days the mining was probably done using the method of fire setting, but with the help of better technologies today mining is much easier.
Before the company had started, Hutti was a very small village with hardly 60 to 70 huts. But, the conditions are different now, Hutti has a town panchayat and a population of more than 10,000. Nearly 4000 of the people residing here in the village are employees of Hutti Gold Mines.
Raichur Thermal Power Station
Built in the year 1980, a few kilometres away from a small village in Raichur district called Deosugur, the Raichur Thermal Power Station was the first thermal plant to be set up in Karnataka. It is a government company managed by the Karnataka Power Transmission Corporation Limited. The place where the plant was set up is now known as Shaktinagar, which means "City of Power".
The power station is located on the banks of the River Krishna about 18 km away from Raichur city. The water required by the company for its operation is taken from the Krishna river and the daily requirement of about five trains of coal is met by the nearest coal field. The plant based at Shaktinagar is responsible for producing about 40% of the total electricity generated in Karnataka.
Raichur Thermal Power Station is a coal fired electric power station and consists of 7 units each of which produce a power of 210 megawatts. The power plant is accredited with ISO 14001 for its environmental management systems (EMS). It also holds the national record for one year of continuous power supply from one of its power generating unit. The plant has received numerous awards for its outstanding performance in the field of power generation and maintenance.